The purpose of the harassment policy is to ensure that all persons will enjoy a safe environment free from unreasonable interference, intimidation, hostility, or offensive behavior on the part of anyone associated with the University. Harassment, sexual or otherwise, is unlawful and will not be tolerated by Limestone University.
The policy of Limestone University is to maintain a learning environment free from all forms of harassment and to insist that all persons associated with the University be treated with dignity, respect, and courtesy.
Pursuant to this policy, any comments or conduct relating to a person’s race, gender, religion, age, or ethnic background that fail to respect the dignity and feeling of the individual are unacceptable.
This policy extends to conduct of a sexual nature including sexual harassment, sexual violence, and gender based bullying. This policy includes all faculty, staff, students, and administrators of Limestone University.
Sexual Harassment at Limestone University is defined as unwelcome, gender-based verbal or physical conduct which is sufficiently severe, persistent or pervasive that it has the effect of unreasonably interfering with, limiting or denying someone the ability to participate in or benefit from the University’s educational program. The unwelcome behavior may be based on power differentials (quid pro quo), the creation of a hostile environment, or retaliation.
Quid pro quo sexual harassment exists when there are:
unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature; and
submission to or rejection of such conduct results in adverse educational or employment action.
Hostile Work Environment includes any situation in which there is harassing conduct that is sufficiently severe, pervasive/persistent and patently/objectively offensive that it alters the conditions of education or employment, from both a subjective (the alleged victim’s) and an objective (reasonable person’s) viewpoint.
Retaliatory Harassment is any adverse employment or educational action taken against a person because of the person’s participation in a complaint or investigation of discrimination or sexual misconduct.
Examples of the above may include but not be limited to:
- Unwelcome or uninvited sexual comments or innuendo
- Oral, written, or electronic communications that are sexually explicit in nature
- Sexually explicit questions, jokes, or anecdotes about gender specific traits
- Sexually suggestive sounds, gestures, gifts, or visual materials such as magazines, pictures, posters, photos, cartoons, or drawings
- Direct or indirect threats concerning sexual favors or the refusal to consent to sexual favors
- Sexual leering, uninvited touching, stroking, or gestures
- Communication of unsought sexual propositions, requests for dates, sexual favors, or lewd remarks or sounds
- touching, patting, hugging, brushing up against a person's body;
- Coerced sexual intercourse
- Sexual assault or abuse
This policy extends to comments or conduct of a sexual nature, where such behavior tends to threaten or offend any person under the jurisdiction of the University. This policy also includes harassment via e-mail, FAX, telephone, and any other form of electronic communication.
Verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature will be considered to be sexual harassment when:
- submission to such conduct is made a condition of an individual’s employment, living, or scholastic environment
- submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment or academic evaluation decisions affecting such individual
- such conduct has the purpose or effect of interfering with an individual’s work or academic performance or creating an unfriendly or offensive work, living, or academic environment
Limestone University also prohibits harassment towards its employees by persons who are not employed by Limestone University. If a tenant, vendor, repair person, or other non-Limestone University employee engages in unwelcome words or conduct, please report this to a Limestone University supervisor or administrator so that appropriate preventive steps can be taken.
Limestone University recognizes that persons of both sexes work together and communicate. Although there is no absolute definition of conduct that constitutes sexual harassment in every case, all persons are asked to conduct themselves reasonably in accordance with the preceding guidelines. Limestone University will not tolerate any conduct that fails to comply with the letter and spirit of these guidelines.